How well do you think you know social media? Just because it has become the air we breathe we are convinced we’re social media experts. This thought is flawed in so many ways. There are, in fact, a lot of lesser-known facts about this global phenomenon that even social media addicts are probably in the dark about.
Here are a few interesting facts that shine a light on the ways popular platforms influence both the private and professional lives of their users. You can use this knowledge to achieve customer success on your favorite platform.
1. Social media is younger than you think.
Believe it or not, there was a time when social media was just a dorm room experiment, and it wasn’t even that long ago! The biggest platforms in the world, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest, are only a little over a decade old. Pretty incredible, don’t you think?
2. Genders on social media.
While women and men are both passionate social media users, there are a few differences between the number of female and male users across different platforms.
Women make up the majority of users on Facebook (57%), Twitter (53%), and Instagram (65%), while YouTube and LinkedIn have a slightly higher number of male users.
3. The reality of social media addiction.
It’s hard to gauge exactly at what point heavy use ends and a full-blown addiction begins. I’ll let you be the judge once you consider these facts:
▪ 85% of people rely on Twitter and Facebook for their morning news
▪ 1.23 billion users log into Facebook for an average of 17 minutes each day
▪ 39,757 years are collectively spent on Facebook in a single day by its active users
▪ 28% of iPhone users check their Twitter feed before they get out of bed in the morning
▪ 18% of Facebook users can’t go even a few hours without checking their timeline
Looking for more? Our friends at Skilled have created this infographic below so you can learn more amazing facts about your favorite platforms.